Before any laser tattoo removal treatments take place, Skin Beautiful will carry out a consultation for you. This will give you the opportunity to ask questions, and see how your treatment will take place, in order for you to make an informed decision. We will carry out an evaluation of your skin type to ensure the laser tattoo removal treatment will be effective. Skin type is categorised according to the Fitzpatrick skin type scale which ranges from very fair (skin type I) to very dark (skin type VI).
Two of the main factors that influence skin type and the treatment programme devised are: genetic disposition and your reaction to sun exposure and tanning habits. Skin type can be determined genetically and is one of the many aspects of your overall appearance, which also includes the colour of your eyes, hair, etc. The way your skin responds to sun exposure is another way to correctly assess your skin type. Recent tanning, whether by the sun or an artificial tanning booth, even tanning creams, can have a major impact on your skin colour evaluation.
We will also need you to complete a simple medical questionnaire so we can take into account your medical history and any medication you may be taking. By using this consultation we are better prepared to provide you with the best laser tattoo removal treatment and care. We can also use a numbing cream to numb the area to be treated and we discuss aftercare with you too. Once a satisfactory consultation is completed a laser tattoo removal test patch can take place.
How does it work?
The laser emits a pulse of light that is preferentially absorbed into certain colours of ink. The light enters the skin at a speed that is too fast to heat the tissues (billionths of a second), instead, it produces a ‘shock wave’ effect and breaks up the ink particles into smaller pieces, the body then recognises these particles as something that shouldn’t be there and attacks it. The particles are then removed naturally via the body’s own elimination system.
Due to the nature of this procedure, it is impossible to predict exactly how many treatments it will take for complete results. It could take as little as 1-3 treatments for an amateur tattoo, or as many as 6-12 treatments for a professionally applied tattoo. After treatment the treated area will most likely be red and feel like it has mild sunburn. This typically goes away after a couple of hours. At times and with certain inks, there may be mild blistering that usually heals in about a week. After each treatment you will be given detailed instructions on how to care for your treated area. Your body needs time to break down the tattoo ink pigments after each laser tattoo removal treatment. Each treatment will be scheduled approx of 6-8 weeks apart.
Affordable and safe tattoo removal
Patients have reported that laser tattoo removal feels like a rubber band snapping quickly on your skin. Numbing cream is available for those that may find the procedure uncomfortable. The type of laser used leaves virtually no scars. However, in rare cases, those with scarring disorders, such as keloids, have an increased risk of forming a scar.
Call us now for details. In addition to tattoo removal, we offer laser hair removal, Hollywood facials and skin rejuvenation.
Laser tattoo removal aftercare
Cold compresses (not ice) and recommended skin care products such as aloe vera may be useful to reduce swelling and erythema or general discomfort. Erythema may last for several hours.
- A sterile non-stick dressing such as Boots Melolin may have been used on the treatment area just to allow you to get home without clothing or belts etc rubbing the area. It is advisable to remove this as soon as you get home to allow the lasered area to dry and heal naturally.
- Your skin will be fragile for 2 to 3 days.
- Use gentle cleaning – do not rub the treatment area. Aloe vera gel can help aid recovery.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning creams during the entire course of treatments. Use SPF 30 or greater on the treatment area if you go into the sun.
- The treatment area may be left open and uncovered. Do not scrub the area. Do not use any products on the treated area without first consulting your aesthetic laser technician.
- Avoid soaking for 24 to 48 hours. No hot tubs, whirlpools or baths, but showers are allowed if tepid water is used.
- Avoid excessive sweating for 24 to 48 hours. No saunas or vigorous working out.
- Keep areas well moisturised and allow the blisters to flake and fall off on their own. Do not pick at the blisters! This is the most common cause of infections and subsequent scarring.
- Avoid irritants such as Retin-A, Retinol, Renova, glycolics, bleaching creams and exfoliants for at least two weeks.
- Refrain from alcohol for 3-7 days (alcohol may dilate blood vessels in the treatment area)
- Keep well hydrated
- It is best to avoid smoking for a period of several weeks before and after your procedure, as smoking constricts the capillaries and taxes the immune system, thereby slowing healing and results
- Avoid photosensitivity inducing foods (celery, leek etc)
On occasion, clients may experience honey coloured fluid (pus) oozing from the blistered skin. If it does occur, the client should apply a topical antiseptic ointment such as Savlon. If this oozing pus lasts for more than two full days the client needs to seek medical attention from their GP who will probably prescribe antibiotic cream.
Laser tattoo removal prices
Skin Beautiful’s laser tattoo removal treatments cost from only £39.99 per session. When you come for your consultation, we will measure your tattoo, carry out a skin assessment and let you know how much treatment will be needed. You also have a choice of either male or female laser technicians, both Holly and Paul are fully qualified in aesthetic lasers and in particular hold tattoo removal master class status.
Due to the nature of this procedure, it is impossible to predict exactly how many treatments it will take for complete results. It could take as little as 1-3 treatments for an amateur tattoo or as many as 6-12 treatments for a professionally applied tattoo. How quickly your ink fades will depend on several factors, such as the colours of your tattoo, the type of ink used and how your body responds to the treatment.
Tattoo size cost
2cm x 2cm: £39.99
4cm x 4cm: £49.99
8cm x 5cm: £59.99
10cm x 7cm: £69.99
Please Note: The prices quoted here are for each session and are an approximate guide. Exact prices will be advised at your initial consultation. Any bookings cancelled, or rescheduled within 48 hours are subject to a £25 charge.